In a nutshell...

My photo
Missouri, United States
I'm an artist, convenience store general manager, Nine Inch Nails fan, and hopeless internet addict. And now I'm a marathoner! Blogged By Jaye is my general-purpose blog, and Fat to Finish Line is my running journal. Occasional foul language included on both sites.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I resolve to shop more this year!

I slept all evening yesterday, and now I'm not tired enough to sleep. I was going to be productive and work on my taxes, but then I realized that by closing my business bank account I made it impossible to retrieve my electronic statements online. Oops. They're going to email them to me, but it'll take a few days.

I can't clean because everyone else in the house is asleep, so I have to be relatively quiet. And I can't run errands because nothing is open.

So I'm going to bug the hell out of anyone who might be awake and paying attention by posting a crap ton of Plinky answers! Yay!!

Where do I resolve to go more this year?

The grocery store.

Kourt and I have a really bad habit of eating out ALL THE FUCKING TIME. Quick drive thru snacks, late night breakfasts at Ziggies or Waffle House, the once or twice a week sit-down dinners, and the more-often-than-we-should trips for sushi. Beyond that, I have an even worse habit of eating food from the convenience store while I'm at work, and you know gas stations are short on healthy and even shorter on affordable healthy.

I like to cook, but I hate to cook in our kitchen. We know it's cheaper and healthier, but it's not as convenient. Not by a long shot. But this year is going to be all about concentrating on more long-term goals like saving for a house and getting to my weight goal.

So I'm determined to actually make use of our kitchen by eating mostly at home. I'm going to take my meals with me to work, keep the cupboards stocked, and cook meals in bulk on my days off so we have easy solutions ready in the house when we get hungry.

Plus, I want to start buying more organic and whole foods. I truly think that the root of the increase in obesity and related health problems these days comes less from our lack of activity than the artificial nature of our diets. I gave up high-fructose corn syrup a while back, and I was amazed at how different I felt and how much less I craved sweets. And this Thanksgiving we ate an organic, free-range turkey instead of getting a frozen bird from the grocery store. It was the best tasting turkey I've ever eaten in my life. It might cost a little more to get good quality groceries instead of the cheapo regular stuff, but it can't cost as much as eating out every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment