In a nutshell...

My photo
Missouri, United States
I'm an artist, convenience store general manager, Nine Inch Nails fan, and hopeless internet addict. And now I'm a marathoner! Blogged By Jaye is my general-purpose blog, and Fat to Finish Line is my running journal. Occasional foul language included on both sites.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

We're getting married!

Well, we're having a wedding, at least.

Screw waiting for legality, we want to have a party and wear pretty dresses like all the cool hetero couples, so we're planning for a wedding in July 2012. Well before the apocalypse, you know, so we can get our honeymoon in before the end of the world. :D

We wanted to get married on the date we already celebrate as our anniversary (July 24), which would be our 8th anniversary in 2012, but it falls on a Tuesday. A Tuesday wedding would be kind of weird, so we'll have to go with a plan B. We're thinking the 28th instead. I suppose it all depends on when we can reserve a space we like.

At this point it's still in the "hey, we could totally do it like this" phase, although I signed up at TheKnot just to have a better idea of all the things we should do and when to do them. But at this point we're thinking a casual, simple affair. We'll wear wedding dresses because we're excited about that part, but casual for everyone else. No bridesmaids, because that gets complicated and expensive. No flowers (except maybe our bouquets) because there are other materials with which to decorate, and flowers just die so it's a big waste of a lot of money. We plan to DIY a lot of stuff, and I'd like to have the ceremony and reception all in the same spot so everyone can watch the ceremony from their tables and then nobody has to go anywhere for the party. My philosophy has always been that a wedding should be a short, minimalist ceremony and then a long, fun party, not a long, boring ceremony and a stuffy, short party.

So now begins the wild and weird process of wedding planning. I went through the checklist on TheKnot thinking I'd be able to just delete half of it, what with the lack of need for florists and bridesmaids dresses and such, but the list is still quite long. We're hashing out the "how are we going to pay for this" part. And at this point the first big thing is probably to tell my parents. I don't expect them to be very excited about it, although I'm sure they'd be pretty upset if they didn't get an invite. I guess we'll just see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment